Sunday, March 29, 2009

Completely Obsessed




So I met Leonard yesterday. I learned about Leonard several years ago. You see, we subscribe to a video service that sends us videos every few months or so. They're designed to be used as illustrations or to enhance worship times, or just give you something to think about.
Well one of them came in titled "Salvation Mountain." It was about this old guy out a little past the Salton Sea, in the middle of the desert, who had built a "mountain" and painted all over it. I've wanted to try and find this place ever since I heard about it, but never really got around to it until this weekend. I went camping out at the Salton Sea with a few friends, and on our way back yesterday, we decided to go looking for it and see if it was even still around.
It most definitely is still there.

It's hard to describe this place.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Well, it would take more than a thousand words to describe this place. Let me do it for you in just a few less...
It was like stepping into a Dr. Seuss book.

There are many things I'm sure that could be said about everything out there on both theological and philosophical levels. I mean, to be working on a big "sculpture/painting/building project" thing out in the middle of the desert for 24 years?

One thing was evident as I walked around and listened to him talk and asked him a few questions. He has a singular focus. He has a singular vision. He's painting and building to share a specific message. Everything he does is focused on that. Day in, day out. Week in, week out. Month after month, year after year. I have no doubt that he'll be working on Salvation Mountain until the day he dies.

I didn't have a theological conversation about everything out there with him. But if we could take his singular focus and apply it to our own lives, what would that look like? I'm not saying that we should all move to the desert and start building a mountain. But if you really started building and structuring your life around the focus and purpose of knowing, believing, living, and proclaiming The Gospel of Jesus Christ, what would that look like?

Rob
<><

1 comment:

jared wilbanks said...

Dude, I'm SO jealous! Ever since I saw the movie The Salton Sea, I've wanted to visit/camp there. My desire was fueled even more after I saw a documentary at the Santa Barbara Film Festival entitled, Plagues and Pleasures on the Salton Sea. Your new buddy Leonard is featured in the latter, along with an old man who stands completely naked by the roadside, welcoming people. I highly recommend both of these films. Let me know if/when you go again as I would love to join you.