Friday, January 18, 2008

Tell your friends...

Remember Apu, the guy who ran the restaurant across from Jerry's apartment in an episode of Seinfeld? When Jerry left the restaurant, the owner said to him 'tell your friends!' He wanted others to know about his restaurant and satisfied customers telling their friends is the best advertisement.

It's kind of the same way with us. We all know the Great Commission in Matthew 28:19-20. It gives us our mandate for sharing the Gospel. As we learn about our total inability to come to God on our own and that God has chosen us, not because of anything we have done or will do, we need to remember that we are commanded to tell our friends about the Gospel.

Remember the movie “The Sixth Sense” when the little boy said “I see dead people… all the time…” This so vividly applies to our lives. If we begin to see those around us as spiritually dead, why don’t we share the Gospel with them? I know that God rescued me from “the pit of destruction” (Ps. 40). How is that not something to share with others that are still in the pit? The fact that I understand that people are spiritually dead should make me passionate about telling them the Good News.

What is the Good News? HE SAVED ME! (Titus 3:4). When we come to the understanding that God chooses us, this should give us a new passion to share the Gospel. This should be a tremendous motivation. Understanding that God personally chose me causes me to respond in thankfulness and joy and excitement. It drives me to want to share that with others. 2 Corinthians 5:20 says “we implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.” This moves me to echo in my life “woe to me if I do not preach the gospel.” (1 Corinthians 9:16) I can’t not preach the Gospel. I can’t not tell others about it.

The more I understand about my own radical need for God and how He shows His personal, intimate love specifically to me, the more I want to tell others about who He is and what He has done in my life. In Mark 1:15, Jesus says, “Repent and believe in the gospel.” I must not only do this myself, but I must tell other spiritually dead people the same thing. I must implore them on behalf of Christ to repent and believe in the gospel.

I implore you. "Tell your friends..."

2 comments:

Steve said...

Hey Rob,

Right again! Keep up the good work. Like the part about "I see dead people"....that's sooo true. When I'm walking through a mall or amusement park or watching a sporting event, I just wonder(and sometimes 'sense') how many of these people are lost souls? Searching for something that can fill their God shaped hole.

May we ALL get to a place where we..."can’t not preach the Gospel. I can’t not tell others about it."



Peace,
Steve
P.S. How do I save a blog to my account? I'm new to Google/blog account, and I can't seem to find a "save to favorites" link or anything.

flanagannotofthisworldcf said...

yeah thats sooo true i believe that u know the truth and u need to share dont be scared this worl d makes us christians look bad they want us to stop sharing the good news and thats not right so stop using being shy as an excuse b/c God used Moses who wasnt a plublic spaeker the more u practice the better u get tghat even applies to sports practice makes perfect.

i 2 c dead people but i dont judge bc who am i to judge someone that person is an indivual so i would nt say their dead but they arent truely there so either way its confusing to the world that we see joy in something they find pain in.


well cu tonite @ eteam

-chrtina flangana