Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Reducing My Carbon Footprint

So one of the things I'm going to do this year is ride my bike to work at least once a week. Hopefully, it'll be more than that, but at least once a week.
Today was my first day. I've got an app on my phone from REI (just about my favorite store) called "Bike Your Ride" that maps your ride and gives you quite a bit of information about your ride. Their goal is to get more people doing bike commuting, which I like.
The app actually tells you lots of info (calories burned, pounds of carbon offset, $ saved, etc.) but I haven't figured out how to save that info just yet. Below is what I remember from my ride today.

Here are the stats from my bicycle commute today:
Total miles (including a stop at the coffee shop on the way to work): 7.81
Total Time: about an hour
$ Saved: $1.25
Calories: I'm guessing - 5-600

I'll keep you posted as to how the commuting situation is going. There are obviously days when I need my car at work, but if I don't need it, why drive?

I'll be talking about the whole idea of "resolutions" and such at SIX33 tomorrow. So if you're around, come to SIX33 and hopefully you'll leave with a good start on the new year.

Rob
<><

No comments: