Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Pursuit of Godliness

As a young man, Jonathan Edwards purposed to order his spiritual life by vowing to live for the glory of God. Such resolve would require him to live with spiritual discipline and a dogged determination in every area of life. He knew that in this pursuit, sin must be forsaken and his tendency to anger resisted. Time must be measured, death must be appraised, and eternity weighed. Life must be lived wholeheartedly. Humility must be shown, and love practiced. In all this, self must be regularly examined.

At the very beginning of his Christian journey, Edwards asked himself: How do i want to live? What is my purpose in life? What type of person do I want to be? His answers to these questions were framed in his “Resolutions.”

No matter where we are in our individual Christian lives, none of us has arrived. There is much spiritual maturity yet to be realized. There is much more that God can do in and through us. Edwards’ approach to the Christian life serves as a strong motivation for each of us to live for the glory of God. May you resolve to live your life not for self but for God.
– Steve Lawson
in “The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards”

In reading this book, I came to this page and just had to share it. It has encouraged and convicted me of my own need for greater discipline in all ares of my life so that I may better pursue godliness, holiness, and sanctification (they all pretty much work together). It points me back to the sermon I preached on resolutions the first Wednesday in January at SIX33 and the 10 Questions.
If you’ve never read all 70 of the Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards, I encourage you to set aside a few minutes and read through them. They’re very rich and it will definitely be worth the time it takes.

Soli Deo Gloria!
Rob
<><

1 comment:

livelong&prosper said...

<><

good stuff thanks

Antony

lifewords.blog.co.uk