Friday, April 9, 2010

A new goal...

So back at the beginning of the year I not only challenged the High School students at Immanuel to set some Resolutions, but set a few myself (most of them are going well). Well yesterday I added a new one. This probably isn't so much a "goal" as it is something to do and work at when I have time.

I've now been to two restaurants in the LA area that have been featured on the Food Network. Those that know me know how much I enjoy good food. Someone once pointed out that all of my facebook posts are either about food or about God. I laughed. There are definitely quite a few about food.

So since I've done a couple of the places, I thought, "Hey! Why not hit up as many of them as I can? After all, I live in Southern California and quite a few of them are out here..."

Enter the new "something to do" scenario. So if you see a place mentioned on "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" or another Food Network TV Show, let me know and I'll head out there and give you a report on what I think. If you also live out here, join me!

Here's the basic report on the two I've been to so far:
Nickel Diner (Downtown L.A.) - the Maple Glazed Bacon Donut (Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives). It wasn't at all what I expected. It looked kind of like a Krispy Kreme with sprinkles on it. I expected more of a bacon-y attack. There was definitely a bacon flavor going on, but it wasn't an overwhelming thing. The donut was cakey, but not quite as thick and heavy as a typical cake donut. All in all, definitely worth the trip to the diner. If I'm ever in the area again, I'll definitely get one.
Father's Office (Santa Monica) - I saw this on "The Best Thing I Ever Ate: Bacon" a few nights ago. Hart to describe this bacon cheeseburger sort of thing. Definitely very good and very different. Father's Office has two locations and the one in Santa Monica is definitely more of a bar than a restaurant. We had to wait to get in, and once we did, made our way up to the bar to order, then had to find a place to sit. It was dark, noisy, and packed. The guy at the door told us it was open seating, so just order and sit anywhere. We did find a place to sit, (definitely a story for another time!) and when the guy brought the burger, it was really good. The bacon is cooked with a bunch of carmelized onions. It was a french roll, meat, spinach instead of lettuce, and this bacony carmelized onion "goop" all over with cheese on top of that. VERY GOOD. Hard to describe, but worth the trip. I recommend going during the day. Definitely not on a weekend night. Thursday night was sketchy enough.

So that's the latest. I'll keep you posted on future adventures in the Food Network Restaurant Search....

1 comment:

Sue Chhem said...

I know someone who has almost the same taste as you. Except for him, he mentioned basketball in almost all of his conversation. So, his obsession is God, Food and Basketball! :)