Monday, February 9, 2009

Discipleship

So on Monday nights, I have a group of High School guys that come over for Discipleship. We're doing a variety of things, including accountability.
Mostly - we're looking deeply at the Biblical Doctrines of Grace. How great it is to simply look at Scripture and see where it takes us.

One of the other thigns we're doing is memorizing some pretty good chunks of Scripture. This seems to be a discipline that's not talked about very much these days. I know for myself, I need to do more of it.
And by "memorize" I mean that you really know it. No stammering and trying to remember what comes next. I know I can do it, I just don't apply myself. I don't repeat and repeat and repeat the passages like I should.

Now, however, is a different story. I've got copies of the passages we're memorizing taped to the instrument panel of my car (an idea I learned from Jerome Smith, the first youth pastor I learned from), taped to my computer monitor, on my desk, sitting on the coffee table at my house, and a couple of copies in my Bible.

My thinking is that if I still know word-for-word songs from when I was in High School, I should be able to memorize something that has some substance to it.

So here's the question - are you memorizing Scripture? I mean really memorizing it. Are you coming to the point where you know the passage so well that you could stand up in the main Worship Service on Sunday morning and open the worship time by quoting the passage?

If we are seeking to truly know God, then saturating ourselves with Scripture is an absolute necessity. Study the Bible. Memorize Scripture. Make it a daily priority.

Seek God First!

Rob
<><

No comments: