Friday, April 27, 2007

Start A Fire

The song that we've just started singing the last few weeks is my own personal prayer for not only myself, but also for our youth group.

Start A Fire
Start a fire in me,
Let the flames run free,
Burn away the dross,
Holy fire of God

Let it begin, let it be new,
Let me be used for Your sake,
Bringing glory to Your Name.
I can live knowing that You
Reside in my heart.
Oh Lord, You are the fire.

When something's on fire, people watch it. I remember when I was young and the house around the corner caught on fire, the whole neighborhood went and just watched it burn. It was crazy to watch.
Remember the fires a couple years back? The sparks would jump from house to house and entire neighborhoods went up in flames. Now when it's someone's home burning, it's a tragedy. But when it's us - when you look at it spiritually, it's a whole other thing.

I want my spiritual life to be like that. On fire. Something that people can see right away, even from a distance. You shouldn't have to be one of my close personal friends to see my passion for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I want the flames to run free in my life. I want that to spread from me to others. I want to see the flames in the kids in our youth group. I want to see it spreading from person to person.

It has to start somewhere. I'm praying that it truly is starting in me. It has to start in us personally. Then it can spread. I'm praying that individual kids in our youth group become so passionate about the Gospel of Jesus Christ that everyone around them can see it, and that it spreads.

Read the lyrics of the song again. Then, the next time we sing it. Don't just sing the words - let them be your own personal prayer to God for your life.

You can get "Start A Fire" on iTunes. My favorite version of the song is on the album "Window to the Inner Court" by Shane Everett. While you're at it, just get the whole album. I just can't stop listening to this album.
("Start a Fire" by Darrin Sasser and Jason Harrison - copyright 1998 Shadow Rock Music)

1 comment:

Flanagannotwgirl said...

i heard that song 4 the 1st time on Wednesday and i feel in love with it. it was a really cool feeling i just restarted going to 633 and i really enjoyed the worship team